Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A letter from one of our members regarding theft

THEFT!!!

I just wanted to write, and perhaps have you share this with other members...today I went to check my garden and found that SOMEONE has CUT off my BEAUTIFUL CAULIFLOWER!!! Now maybe it's not a big deal to a lot of people, but we are a family of 5...with one small income STRUGGLING to make ends meet..and I can NOT afford to go out to the grocery store and buy things like fresh cauliflower/broccoli etc...My children deserve to have the opportunity to eat fresh produce, and enjoy their gardening work...yes my 11, 6 and 2 yr old have been working hard helping me garden and grow this food and were VERY excited that we were SUPPOSED to be having fresh cauliflower and cheese sauce for supper...and I had to come home and tell them we couldn't...now imagine how that felt.

My children already have to go without A LOT of things...there are no summer camps...no trips to just buy toys..and not much there for birthdays and christmas...because I am not able to work so we live off ONE income to pay EVERYTHING. We've been through A LOT financially this past year..including NO INCOME for 4 months..and I had to scrape and save change to go out and actually buy plants and seeds this year to HAVE a garden..I went without medications myself in order to be able to do so...this hurts more than you can imagine that someone would do this!!!!

It HAD to be someone KNOWING what they were coming to do as it was CUT cleanly off the stalk...it was the biggest..the best of the 4 I had...I am so hurt you just can't even put it into words...and my children even more so.

SO..to WHOMEVER thought it was ok to go out and STEAL someone elses food..you took food LITERALLY off of my childrens plates...children who really don't have much in the first place..and COUNT on the garden crops for their fresh produce...I hope it feels wonderful to know that..and be such a thoughtless pig to do it! IMAGINE YOUR FAMILY HAVING TO GO WITHOUT FOOD BECAUSE SOMEONE THOUGHT THEY SHOULD STEAL THEIR FOOD FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a bad sense of community!

Anita 
 
If anyone feels the need to harvest from someone elses plot please remember that plots marked "Community´´ are open to all members.  Please resist the urge to harvest from individual plots. Lots of hard work has gone into them. The entire border plot shown below is a free community plot!

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand. What a shame. Someone took my garlic scapes right before I came to harvest them. People don't know how much little things mean to other people, and how it really destroys the sense if community in a community garden.

    ReplyDelete